SHAMANIC JOURNEYING & HEALING
Tens of thousands of years ago, our ancient ancestors all over the world discovered how to maximize human abilities of mind and spirit for healing and problem solving. The remarkable system of methods they developed is today known as "SHAMANISM", a term that comes from a Siberian Tribal word for its practitioners, "Shaman".
Shamans are a type of medicine person distinguished by the use of journeys to hidden worlds otherwise known as myth, dream, and near-death experience. Most commonly they do this by entering an altered state of consciousness using monotonous percussion sound.
A Typical Shamanic Journey & Healing Session
- A typical Shamanic Journeying & Healing Session lasts an hour to an hour and a half. There is a brief interview with the client about what their chief complaint is and to determine what information or healing is being sought by the Shamanic Journeying & Healing session.
- It is determined if the client will be Journeying for themselves or if the practitioner will be Journeying for the client. (Clients are encouraged to learn to Journey and can be easily guided through the process).
- The client then lies either on a comfortable padded massage table or on a blanket on the floor, depending on the clients' mobility.
- The Shamanic Practitioner begins a session by playing a repetitive monotonous percussion sound, like drumming or by using a rattle. This can be done with either a recorded or live percussion sound. This repetitive percussion beat is at a tempo that allows the mind (of both the client and the shamanic practitioner) to get into theta and alpha wave length states of consciousness. It is these theta and alpha wave cycles that allow and assist the mind and spirit in journeying to other worlds to receive information and healing.
- Shamanic Journeying & Healing Sessions can include Power Animal Retrievals, Soul Retrievals or drum/rattle Healings.
- The actual Journeying lasts about 20- 30 minutes and is brought to a close by the ending of the repetitive percussion sound/drumming.
"To sit with eagles and their flute-like songs, listening to the longer flute wind sweep through lush grasslands, is to begin to know the natural laws that exist apart from our own written ones."
-- Linda Hogan
Asheville, North Carolina
Shamanic Journeying & Healing
CranioSacral Therapy & Somatic Bodywork